Friday, February 26, 2010

Curing an Ear Infection

I woke up this morning so dizzy that it took me 5 minutes to slowly, slowly, get out of bed. I am, unfortunately, ridiculously prone to ear infections. So much so that dizziness doesn't even worry me anymore. However, waking up with such a sudden and intense onset of dizziness is pretty bad, and I have a packed weekend ahead of me. Not being able to focus at the opera tonight or not being able to dance at the David Bowie tribute tomorrow would be a real shame!

Of course, I completely forgot to take care of my ears this morning, so it looks like there will be no way to get around using this smelly, all-purpose fix to ear infections tonight, when I have a date. How embarrassing! (actually this is a lie - given who it is, it's not embarrassing at all - just a bit smelly. It's great to fall in with people who are great and as diy as me - if not more - omg I'm doing the thing I swore to myself I'd never do on this blog).

Now, I unveil the horror! It feels great, but trust me, you do not want to do this for a date

Garlic ear oil
Curing an ear infection is fairly simple, but it doesn't smell good. All you need is a clove of garlic and olive oil (1-2 tablespoons should be fine) and a small pan. heat the olive oil while mincing the garlic. drop the garlic into the hot oil, turn off the heat, and let it sit until it's warm to the touch. scoop some oil into your finger and drop 3-6 drops into one ear. rub it in well, and lie on that side for 30 seconds or so. Then repeat with the other ear. Do this 2-4 times a day.

To save the oil, strain out the garlic. I would make a new batch each day though. When using cooled oil, make sure you rub your ear thoroughly to heat the oil and your ear up.

Some people use mullein-infused olive oil to heat the garlic in - but unless you happened to infuse olive oil with mullein 6 weeks ago, I wouldn't worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment